Thursday, October 20, 2011

In Search Of

I learned the internet is showing us what it thinks we want to see. I learned about a filter bubble and its your own personal unique universe of information that you live on online. And in your filter bubble depends what you do and who you are, but it's out of your control what gets put into this bubble and you don't get to see what gets edited out. I also learned that even if you search the same things, anyone can get different information or results.

My thinking process has changed when example if we get the same project to do in a class. The information we obtain to get it can be significantly different from others. Others may not see or find what I did even if we write the same words in the search engine of Google. It makes me think what information I am missing and that I don't get a chance to view because of this algorithm. Almost like I am being cheated out information I may want but may never get.

If we have no control of our filter bubble, how do we tell it to give us information we rather have? How will things progress, will filter bubbles continue? Are there changes being made to these algorthm? What does the future hold for us? And how will social network change? What benefits or loss do I get with this filter bubble? Since I live in a house of five and we all use the same computer, it makes me think it will truly never even give me information I want. The filter bubble on my computer has the idea of what five people like. So this only makes me think that the filter bubble doesn't even know the links I click on, coming to a conclusion I don't even have my own filter bubble. The filter bubble was described as your own universe but for me it is the universe of five girls put together. Or am I wrong? Does sharing a computer change things immensly? There are an endless sea of questions that come to mind. But will they ever be answered is the real question.

A way to perhaps I could try to improve my searches, would be to use multiple searches. Or trying to be more clear in what I am searching for. Maybe not even using the internet but going to the library. And do the old fashion way of finding information.

While I looked up information on Shakespeare I tried the technique in using to differnet search engines. I used Yahoo and Google, in all honesty though I found not that much different information. There were different articles, but the information didn't really change. I did see some different articles that here helpful that had slight different information, which was good. But I still came to the same conclusion in that there is no real solid evidence.

No comments:

Post a Comment