Wednesday, October 19, 2011

To Facebook or Not To Facebook

When I first came across facebook, I thought it was a waste of time and no use for it. Just like Myspace I didn't really see a point to having these Social Network. I felt we have texting and emails, why do we need another way of communication. I think Facebook is used for many reasons, some more reasonable then others.

In my opinion I feel Facebook is mainly use to vent feelings. You don't know how many times I see something like: "Why won't he talk to me?", "Worse day ever!", "I'm tired of everyone," "My life sucks!", etc. Almost like they want attention and have someone go: "What's wrong?" Or "Who?". I really see no point in writing things like that. Why not just say: "Someone want to talk to me?" Instead of throwing out hints you need someone to talk to. I feel this is not reasonable use for Facebook.

I still keep that impression that there is no use for a Facebook but feel it is handy to get a facebook. It is an easier way to get a hold of someone. Especially when someone loses their phone or doesn't check their emails. I never check my email, and I do check Facebook everyday. It's faster to chat then with text messaging. It's also handy when you can see up coming events or birthdays. I always forget my friends birthdays and forget to put on my calendar. It's nice to know so you can tell them the next day or message them wishing them a great day. I like how you can see events as well. My leader from my 4-H group always post when meetings are. I feel that is one very useful aspect of Facebook.

There are many risks with Facebook though. I know for a fact if someone wanted to find me they probably could. It's not like I post my location, but I do have where I go to school and that I play on the tennis team. With there being only one Stephanie on the team it's not that hard to figure out who I am. It's not that difficult if you think about it. With Facebook having a GPS Locator, people can see: So and so have just arrived at Olive Garden. Then there are those who put on status things they don't attend for use. Someone could say, "going to the lake with family this weekend." Now you just alerted to everyone you are not going to be home and neither is your family. You might have not meant it but that's what others may see. A thing I figured out as well with Facebook if someone becomes your friend on facebook, and they have a smart phone, they could get your number. If you ever sent a photo from your phone, facebook has your cell number. Those with a smart phone automatically gets the number in their contact list. So if you add someone you don't really know and they have a smart phone, they easily get your number.

Another major risk I see with Facebook is fake profile. I remember someone told me that they had four Facebook accounts. It is so easy to make a new email address and another Facebook account. There is no doubt in my mind that people have fake accounts. So how can you say your talking to a person you know, when really you might not know them at all. Someone might say their a seventeen year old girl, when really they could be thirty year old man.

There may be some benefits in having a Facebook but where there are benefits there are risks. Depending how you use your facebook, depends how safe you are. I think there are more risks then benefits in Facebook. The article we read only made me more aware of the risks and had me think more if I should even have a Facebook. It had me thinking to make things private and think before posting anything that could be harmful to myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment